Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Blogging Marathon: The Competition II

My legs were tied...

The bird festival was drawing nearer each day. Unfortunately, I only had weekends for my photography sessions. With a few 'weak' photos to bet my luck on, I was not about to enter the competition just for the sake of it. I had to make an impression...I thought.

Good timings couldn't be better, when the management approved my annual leave. I had four days to produce something for the competition. I was free!

Booked a ticket to Sandakan for the festival and of course, the hunt of a perfect photo. Sepilok is such a gifted place and if one works really hard, luck is in their own hands...My best buddy Alphonsus prepared the itinerary and left me nothing to worry about!

Contrast to what could be found in the Kinabalu National Park, birds in Sepilok are more colorful and vibrant. Obviously, can easily catch attentions...judges attentions! I heard a few wise words, colors win contests...

I began my hunt and got some photos. I was aiming for the Oriental Dwarf Kingfishers (feeding of course coz flight shots are just too much to consider!). I saw and heard a few, but not a single shot. Instead, I got these shots, one of which a lifer to me...the Scarlet-rumped Trogon.

Again, not 'competition-worthy' but nonetheless are for keeps. If you scroll down further, you will also find a photo of a cicada. It's interesting, check it out;-

P/s: The 1st eight pictures were actually taken from Sepilok, Sandakan...my apology for the cut & paste overdose :)























3 comments:

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Never give up..
Keep going until you find the one worth entering.

Madibirder said...

They are all beautiful. Very crisp shot of the Trogons, wish mine were of the same standard.

NatureFootstep Fåglar / Birds said...

hi, saw your blog in fat birder ring. I is hard for me to beliver those birds are for real. So beautiful. Ours are not that colorful. I live in Sweden. :)