Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sugud Forest Reserve; RDC of the West Coast

It’s less than an hour to get there. However, long stretch of gravel and winding hilly road slows down vehicle even to off-roaders. Chunks of cracked and broken pieces of asphalt tell an appealing story. Once upon a time, this region was a place of grandeur at least that was my first impression.

Once the engine stopped, the place which I thought was dead suddenly came to life. Jason heard at least five different calls of Barbets and two Trogons within minutes after we all parked our cars. The most distinctive one must be the call from a Banded Kingfisher. I pleaded to myself that I must have photos of them as a token of my lifers. Could be another impressive list, I sensed. Sugud Forest Reserve, RDC of the West Coast? We'll see...

I am greatly thankful to Jason and friends for the invitation. My wife and I had tried numerous of times in Sepilok, Sandakan to get a hold of these lovely birds which are mostly my lifers. Enjoy them as much as I enjoyed photographing them;
1. Brown Barbet (Calorhamphus fuliginosus)

Lifer # 1 Brown Barbet. Despite the unforgiving back lit background, I managed to get one shot for the record.


2. Crested Serpent-Eagle (Spilornis Cheela)

Not a lifer. It was fast, so was my Canon!


3. Ben Duncan

A tattoo artist and a free lancer of everything else! That was what he told me. We befriended online and I am also a follower of his blog and an admirer of his tattoo jobs. Quite unbelievable what the NET can do...By the way, it was his first anniversary and he went out birding with us. I thought I was lucky with an understanding and supportive wife! Happy Anniversary you two!!!


3. Jason R Bugay (a.k.a. Horukuru)

One of the raw and rarest talents in town! He has the eyes of a hawk and no birds could easily fly unnoticed! One with the most impressive digiscoped images. A skill developed through plenty of hard work and practice!


4. Andrew S & Karim M (a.k.a Sinooorita)

Two other experts with tonnes of bird collections! Most of the rarest images could be found in their collection. Aided by a scope and a DSLR, no birds can escape.


5. Banded Kingfisher (Lacedo Pulchella)
6. Banded Kingfisher (Lacedo Pulchella)

7. Banded Kingfisher (Lacedo Pulchella)

Lifer # 2. Please excuse me for the three pictures above. I just adore this bird so much and this shows how much I am grateful for this opportunity! Aren't they gorgeous?!


8. Red-Bearded Bee-Eater (Nyctyornis amictus)


9. Red-Bearded Bee-Eater (Nyctyornis amictus)

Again, two photos for my Lifer # 3. Opportunity that isn't easy to come by.


10. Black and Yellow Broadbill (Eurylaimus ochromalus)

RDC of the West Coast? No doubt about it at this point of time.

4 comments:

Gary Albert said...

Wow. NIce catch

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

Wahahaa nice pictures too my friend and we will get more species soon VS RDC :P

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Congratulation on your two lifers.
I have not seen all those birds you captured at Sugud.

Tried searching for Broadbill at Bukit Tinggi last sunday, but rain prevent me from taking out my camera. Oh well, there is always next time!

Charlotte Young said...

Dear Jordan Sitorus,

In searching for images of the black-and-yellow broadbill, Eurylaimus ochromalus, I came across this image that I would be interested in using for ARKive.

ARKive - www.arkive.org - is a unique conservation initiative where films, photographs and audio recordings of the world’s animals, plants and fungi are being gathered into one centralised digital library.

If you are interested in contributing this wonderful image please email me on charlotte.young{at}wildscreen.org.uk

Many thanks,

Charlotte Young