Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Besra (Accipiter virgatus): The Lifer the Saviour

I am extremely delighted and proud for her. Yes, on our recent outing to Tambunan, my wife managed to capture only her second bird of prey! I didn't blame her for the other birds she didn't get to shoot...not easy. After all, they are wild birds!

I could see the frustration in her eyes during reviewing her shots. I knew how she felt, simply because I felt the same way with mine! This is no easy business, not a staged performance whatsoever by the birds! It's either you spot it, shot it or not...Well, she spotted the Besra and had a few shots of them too!

1. Besra (Accipiter virgatus)
I saw it attempted to scare off Ron, gliding straight towards him, twice!. Instinctively I supposed. It's nest is only about six or seven feet above ground, built on a small tree. Maybe human presence at the surrounding area is rare or non-existance. Quite a peculiar behavior, coming from a predatory bird.

2. Besra (Accipiter virgatus)
When we were busy searching for other birds and reviewing our shots, my wife Zaiton just stood there-waiting and waiting for the Besra. While my wait was short and empty, her longer wait proved to be very fruiful! She did an awesome job recording these photos! Her patience paid off, Period.

At one time, it also tried to attack me, or just sending a warning signal. Instead of feeling scared, I felt that I had missed a golden opportunity! I swear that if I was ready, I could have taken the shots! That would be amazing and could be an award wining shots! (as Ron used to say!)

That was not meant to be, at least for now. Rest assured that I'll get a shot or two of the Besra soon. Meanwhile, viewing it from the Mrs, bring lots of joy. Very proud of her shots...enjoy!

No comments: