Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis capensis): My Lucky Break

My Internet connection has been very bad in recent weeks. I have never been so annoyed with my service provider;while indicating almost full signal strength-the line constantly dropped, time and time again! This time, I don't want to try my luck at home...

I have been hoping to get a decent shot of the Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis capensis) in Labuan. It was a bit of surprise to me when I saw one a few months ago. As far as I can recall, I only saw it in Kinabatangan Sandakan last year. I have never even see it in my hometown, Tuaran.

The largest Kingfisher and with bright colors body one may think they are easy to spot. Well, not from my experience I'm sorry. My sightings of the kingfisher have been an eye watering ones. They normally perched and camouflaged behind wall of green leaves!

Last weekend, I finally had my break. My original plan was to get closer shots of the Oriental Darter (Anhinga Melanogaster). However, while waiting for hours in my so-called hideout-I saw the Stork-Billed Kingfisher flew across the lake. The kingfisher was quick...so does my 40D...one of the shots I got, enjoy;

Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis capensis)
One of my luckiest shot, not an easy bird to find let alone to get good shots of. Truly grateful for the lucky break...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi jordan, hope u dont mind me doing a lil advertising here :D

Sabah Bloggers Gathering this August 2nd at Imperial Hotel!!!

Visit our official site at:
http://sabahbloggers.blogspot.com/

Confirm attendance here:
http://caneeliea.com/08-sbg-attendance/

or write to:
Caneeliea [at] gmail [dot] com

Help spread this to All Sabahan Bloggers out there!!! :D

Jordan Sitorus said...

No problem...

Soup Recipes said...

First time reading this blog, thanks for sharing