Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Flavescent Bulbul (Pycnonotus flavescens): Fabulous

It felt like a long time ago since I last photographed a bird. I missed the adrenaline rush in my system, the sweat...the excitement and thrill of hunting them. Wait a minute...It has only been two weekends! I have spent most of the recent weekends at home in Kota Kinabalu.


I got a free ride home when I went for a 2-day training in the middle of July but spent a huge chunk of money last week to get home. The air fare price hike irritates me big time, but on the other hand does make me value my time with my family much more! amazing...


I also took two days of my annual leave in addition to the rest-days. Eventually spent half day alone at home when the kids went for school! I could have gone out birding but my wife took the car for work...So what did I do? Beside the extra hours of sleep, I scrolled down my files and found these,...enjoy;

1. Bronchocela cristatella
Chai, Ron, my wife and I went to Orchid de' Ville to try our luck there. Chai was informed someone has spotted a Banded Kingfisher there. Obviously...but unfortunately... We were lucky enough to spot a green lizard...at least we will not go back empty handed after that long drive!

2. Misty morning
Don't try to adjust your screen! It was one cold morning in Tambunan when I took a picture of my wife (Seemed like a scene from a video game). There was a thick fog covering the Crocker Range and visibility was poor. The night before, it was 16 degree Celcius! nice...
3. Ronald I Pudin
Look at the disappointment in Ron's face! I bet he was wishing for the mist to disappear and the Bornean birds to appear!
4. Ashy Drongo (Dicrurus leucophaeus)
I have some better shots of this Ashy Drongo, but something about this shot that I think is quite appealing. The position of the Drongo resembles a Kadazan lady doing the traditional "Sumazau" move.
5. Flavescent Bulbul (Pycnonotus flavescens)
My lifer...a Flavescent Bulbul. Not as 'glam' as the other montane birds, but they are not easy to come by. I'd really love to have a better shot of this bird. However, I'm also truly grateful for this shot because the bird turned 180 degree to pose for me! Not an everyday shot I guess... Fabulous!

1 comment:

Redzlan said...

The sumazau dancer imitate this birds;

"spread up their hands and move it up and down just like a bird spreading their wings to fly"

Yes, need to click for bigger picture to apreciate this Ashy.

Good action shot!