Thursday, June 19, 2008

Everett's Yuhina (Yuhina everetti): Bird Kingdom Magicans

Crocker Range have been our major outing destination in recent times. Relatively close to Kota Kinabalu compare to going to Kinabalu Park, Crocker Range in Tambunan offers equally or not better birding experience to me personally.

At an elevation of more than 1000 meters, you would expect to find similar birds found in Kinabalu Park here. The one place that I had most of my lifer such as Bornean Treepie, Ashy Drongo and Mountain Barbet to name a few. Obviously, fast becoming my favorite birding spot.

Never in my visits here I fail to spot the Everett's Yuhina. An endemic bird to Borneo, they fly in flocks and can easily be found on trees along the road. I had been attempting to take photos of them numerous times, but only managed recently despite the many previous encounters.

They barely sits on one place long, within seconds they will vanish like a magician. Most of the time, I would be left taking photos of the branch they were on! I cannot imagine taking photos of them using films. Out of the cracking speed of 6.5 frames/second of my 40D, most of them binned just a little longer than taking them...

Being tiny and active as they are, sometime I wondered; can't the viewfinder be a little larger, enough to find where they are...can't the camera be a little faster so I can shoot them faster...etc, etc. The normal complaints out of frustrations and iritations...

However, I am officialy frustrated and irritated No-more coz I have shots of them such as these...enjoy;

Everett's Yuhina (Yunina everetti)

Their diet consists of small fruits, seeds and insects. This shot was taken when the bird was just about to have his breakfast. The long wait was fruitful when Chai and I waited on the spot where we noticed a morning breakfast buffet of bugs and insects of all kinds were on the ground... Eventually, even the Bird Kingdom magician have to eat some time...