Monday, May 5, 2008

Beastmaster Visit to Labuan 3/5-5/5/2008: Nightjar Lied Naked

Alphonsus just got himself a laptop and I was supposed to give him a crash training! He came to Labuan last weekend, so we did just that. We rented a room at a budget hotel. Near my hunting ground, quick access to good food & a bit of extra signal for my 3G! What else do I need? Oops, Air-condition of course.

He arrived around 11:30am, during which I was busy hunting and just found an interesting new bird. Picked him up after burning a few Gigs of my CF on the bird, had lunch, got a room and back to the park again.

The crash course was tight indeed, but works. He got to do everything from getting the picture to producing the final product. He seemed a bit worried, but I guess its just the self confidence creeping in.

We'll soon be able to see his own work at his Flickr.

I had a great time indeed. For the first time in a long, long time in Labuan-at last a hunting partner. (or should I say spotter?! After all, he is the Beastmaster you know...). During the weekend, I managed to capture the images of these creatures...

1. White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis Phoenicurus)

Finding food at a nearby wet and swampy small opening.

2. Common Iora (Aegithina tiphia)

I was sure it was the Green Iora at the first sighting...I was wrong but nevertheless grateful to have a few shots. It was on the tree just a few away above the waterhen.

3. Koel (Eudynamys scolopacea)

Definitely not the most beautiful bird, but not an easy task to get a decent shot of the bird.

4. Pied Triller (Lalage Nigra)

My best shot of the bird so far. You can bet I'll get better ones.

5. Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis capensis)

It is a huge Kingfisher and a loud one too. I didn't managed to get a good shot of it. This was taken while it was flying across the lake. Wished it was a better shot...However, I'm still grateful to have a record shot of it in Labuan.

6. UnID

Tiny and a fast moving...Prinia? I don't know. Calling on the experts please...

7. Oriental Darter (Anhinga Melanogaster)

An Oriental Darter perched on a dead branch at the other side of the lake. They're huge and quite a beauty.

8. Pink-necked Green-Pigeon (Treron Vernans)

They are fast flyers and shy, you could only see all those beautiful colors when they're still. Beautiful bird.




9. Common Sandpiper (Tringa hypoleucos)

This one was wandering quite far off the lake.




10. Dusky Munia (Lonchura fuscans)
My Mum's worst enemy...They come in numbers to the paddy field and attack the crop. Hmm...




11. White-collared Kingfisher (Halcyon chloris)
My best shot so far of this kingfisher.


12. Large-tailed Nightjar (Caprimulgus macrurus)
This was certainly my greatest personal find in Labuan. This was my first Nightjar. I was filled with excitement and nervousness when I first saw it. As I was busy taking picture and trying to find better angles, Alphonsus rang me up...He's more important than off I went.




13. Large-tailed Nightjar (Caprimulgus macrurus)-chick
This was taken shortly after I rescued the chick when it fell in the lake. It was trying to flee after hearing us I guess. More of a culprit than a saviour...However, we meant no harm for it of course.




14. Large-tailed Nightjar (Caprimulgus macrurus)-Chick & Mum

This was taken on our second day visit to the spot. Alphon was the most relieved one to find the mum and the chick together! We could easily recognized the chick with the right eye still shut. This bird is not easy to spot, but if you have the beastmaster around...you're likely to miss an opportunity!

15. Brown Capped Woodpecker (Picoides moluccensis)

This was also one of the great birds that could be found around the lake. Not that easy though.

16. The Crash

Every life counts...I pulled a dead tree right off the soil to make a pole to rescue the helpless creature. Alphon knew I could manage to rescue it and start taking pictures like a reporter!





17. The Satisfaction

What can I say? except for thanks to Alphon to have recorded this small memorable moment.

That was a little bit of adventure Alphon and I had in Labuan last weekend. We actually stumbled upon a phyton near the spot where we rescued the chick. Too bad I didn't manage to get any shots of it. It was the size of my wrist and hid in a hole of a dead palm tree.




Do I dare to go there again alone? ...

No comments: