Friday, April 25, 2008

Bird Watching Overdose: 19/4/08-21/4/08

Wow, time really flies! I know, my last post was on 12 April. A lot happened in the sense of birding during that time. This post may looked like it was posted on the 25, but the fact is...partly finished the draft and posted today! (29/4/08).




I had an awfully wonderful time! I was on my annual leave from 21/4 to 25/4/08...and obviously my schedule was horrifically jammed packed! Touched down at KKIA at 21:30pm. By road to Kinabalu Park at 9:00 am the next day. My Mrs and I joined Chai & Siesie, while Ron and Hazel came a bit later...(Talk about something-in-common=Birding!)




I've just received my little monster Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM last Friday! I'm a man...can't settle for a mere 'big'-Want BIGGER!...so, on our way to Kinabalu Park, we stop by at a camera shop and got myself a little bit of extra reach...the Canon Teleconverter 1.4X II! at last, a perfect combination to my Canon 40D!


I have not have so much fun for so long. All in all, we spent 3D2N in Kundasang ( the ladies & Chai headed home on Sunday...sigh). Ron and I spent another 3D2N in Sandakan! What for??? What else? if not for these...

Chapter 1: Birding in Kundasang

1. Verditer Flycatcher (Eumyias thalassina)

This was one of the first shots using the Canon 300mm + 1.4x II. I am extremely pleased with the result. Had Siesie's assistance to spot it. Thanks Siesie!

2. Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa dauurica)

Have my doubts of the ID though...

3. Little Pied Flycatcher (Ficedula westermanni)

These guys are a really amazing to watch...especially when they fly! they're just a little bigger than a Cicada...

4. Grey-Chinned Minivet (Pericrocotus solaris)

A mouthful of Cicada! Siesie had a big laugh when the tripod loaned to me by Chai didn't give the 'support' I needed!...Worst still...Chai joined the laugh too!!!

5. Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa dauurica)

Taken at our second day at the park...ID? still doubtul


6. Temminck's Sunbird (Aethopyga temminckii)

Came up close and personal with this sunbird. I thought it was a Crimson Sunbird at first sight...

7. Ashy Drongo (Dicrurus Leucophaeus)

I already had a record shot of the bird from Tambunan. This one's from Kundasang.


8. Malaysian Treepie (Dendrocitta occipitalis)

My heart nearly stop beating when I first saw this treepie feeding on a fruiting tree! Normally, they come in pair...which they did! The other one hidden somewhere at the side. We had some argument whether it was a Malaysian or a Bornean Treepie...I leave it to the experts...

9. Malaysian Treepie (Dendrocitta occipitalis)

The second day, the bird gave us a second chance...better shot?


10. Black-capped White-eye (Zosterops atricapilla)

We had a morning greetings from an Black-capped White-eye (Zosterops atricapilla). It's a tiny bird but they were so close I accidentally cropped the tail off! what a silly shot...

11. Black-capped White-eye (Zosterops atricapilla)

Enjoying the morning sun...

12. Chestnut-capped Laughing Thrush (Garrulax mitratus)

They might be laughing...but I'm laughing too! got some decent shots of them...

13. Everett's Yuhina (Yuhina Everetti)

This bird do not now how to stay still...Simply a nightmare to shoot at!

14. Pygmy Squirrel

A mountain pygmy?? I'm afraid I don't know...kind of a bit too much hair in the ears... talk about horny...

15. Unknown

Wish I know...Calling on the experts...

16. Golden-naped Barbet (Megalaima pulcherrima)

I could kiss myself for this lucky shot! I blew my first few shots of this noisy Barbet. However, I would not make the same mistake...the second day!

16. Ronald I Pudin


What do you think about our trip to Kinabalu Park so far Ron??? I guess the Big smile said it all...

Chapter 2: Birding in Sepilok

Off we drove to Sandakan and went in direct to RDC Sepilok to capture these images...

1. Bornean Bristlehead (Pityriasis gymnocephala)

Ron was as lucky as I was on my first visit here. We got to see and capture the elusive Bornean Bristlehead (Pityriasis gymnocephala)...

2. Chestnut-breasted Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus curvirostris)

Got wet from the heavy pour...lasted about an hour or so...


3. Red-eyed Brown Bulbul (Pycnonotus brunneus)

The rain has not stop completely... So, this one's my rainy effect shot!

4. Black and Yellow Broadbill ( Eurylaimus ochromalus)

Their just simply beautiful...

5. Purple-naped Sunbird (Hypogramma hypogrammicum)

If not because of Ron's advice...I would have not taken a shot of this bird. Never take any bird for granted! shoot it...

6. Unknown

You see...I don't know what it is!

7. Hairy-backed Bulbul (Hypsipetes criniger)

It was a bit surprise when the flash fired! and later just stood still...thank you for the pose.


8. Green Iora (Aegithina viridissima)

Obviously not of a desirable quality...however, I'm grateful to catch just a glimps of this beautiful bird.

9. Brown-capped Woodpecker (picoides moluccensis)


This woodpecker was busy finding food after the rain...too bad becaused it was high up!


10. Dusky Broadbill (Corydon sumatranus)

This was my fifth Broadbills. After the Black & Yellow, Black & Red, Banded & Long-tailed. Who knows I might see all of them?!


11. Buff-rumped Woodpecker (Meiglyptes tristis)

Beautiful bird...I tell you...


12. White-Bellied Woodpecker (Dryocopus Javenis)

A huge woodpecker indeed!

13. White-Bellied Woodpecker in Flight

Not the best of in flight shots...just to show off an ambitious shot!
14. Greater Racquet-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus Paradiseus)

At last, a decent shot of my second Drongo collection after the Ashy!

15. Lesser Green Leafbird (Chloropsis cyanopogon)-Female

Not an easy bird to spot! all you would see is green...

16. Banded Woodpecker (Picus miniaceus)

Another Woodpecker in my collection. Too bad I failed to capture the whole family together! There were four of them actually!

17. The Trio

Thanks to Alphon for this pic. The first time we met was 21 years ago! 21 years later...still the same kids...the same friendship. I reallyThank God to have such good friends...Anyone missing?

18. The Beastmaster

This guy is the Special One! Be it in the jungle, town or city...Look for him and you'll be okay! Another best buddy of ours. He's dubbed the Mayor...now, the Beastmaster. Why? visit his photostream and tell me what you think.
Mind you, he's just took up birding/photography a few months ago with a loaned camera. And yet, he's already producing great birds picture! The Mayor thing...you don't want to know!
Last but not least...I'm not finished yet. Stay tuned for the next post of the same trips/outings!

No comments: