Sunday, January 6, 2008

Unexpected Nature Surprises!

This week alone, I've thought of going back to Kota Kinabalu (KK) countless of times. Eventually, I stayed put coz I couldn't make up my mind! Moreover, financially I couldn't afford it! (saving up for a flashgun & a lens!!!)


Lucky for me my 3G connection is up and running effortlessly. Checked out my flickr contacts' pics and blogs. This one guys, I just have to highlight. One shot that I envy very much! It is a Black-and-Yellow Broadbill (Eurylaimus ochromalus).Taken most brilliantly by Johnizam.


I was so close to being face to face with that bird last December. I was invited by Ah Seng (a.k.a Gokibury) and Johnizam to tag along with them on their trip. Unfortunately, wrong timing!

Ultimately, this year timing is the keyword. I'm in a process of improving my timing on everything. Yesterday, I checked out the open spaces around the 4th floor apartment when I saw and managed to capture a glimpse of an unidentified bird(Calling on the EXPERT,you know who you are! help please..);


It was a thrilling find but I was disappointed when I realized that I couldn't go nearer to that site to make up for my short lens. It's fenced and the bushes are thick...Started my car and wandered off around the Island.


Lucky day I guessed, coz I found a heron!

Today, January 6, 2008 I struck a jackpot when I managed to get a shot of an Oriental Darter soaring high into the sky;



All in all, staying put in Labuan isn't so bad after all, I've got to handed to John really. With his inspiring shot, I was pumped up and eager to look for some shots of my own.

Another good news is Ron's gonna buy his own DSLR. Probably an Olympus Evolt E510. (typical of Ron; always wanting something different from the rest!). Soon I hope coz I've asked Gary to organize a birding trip and he agreed.


Well, maybe this time I'll get better shots than the last outing to Kinabatangan Jungle Camp!

7 comments:

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

canot click la your pic to make it bigger as usual hehehe but it looked like pied triller :)

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

n oso u got pond heron but difficult to confirmed which one either javan or chinese coz your bird is in non-breeding plumage hahaha good shot !

Jordan Sitorus said...

Aiseymen...Sorry! files too small. I uploaded bigger files for better viewing & identification!

The Heron is surely not a little heron! my mistake..hahaha...but it does look so much like a cinnamon bittern, doesn't it?

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

hehehe cinnamon bittern doesnt hav with belly like your pic, all streaky :)

Jordan Sitorus said...

Thanks man...appreciated!

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

confirmed it is pied triller your 1st pic :o

Anonymous said...

Aku rasa itu heron tu..Chinese Pond Heron. By reference la..aku belum pernah nampak burung ni..congrat..