Thursday, December 27, 2007

All in a day's work

Woke up quite early this morning. Dressed up and geared up to send the wife to work! It's been a while since I last send her to work. I'm still on my annual leave but she has to go work. It's too bad coz it's a beautiful day, the sky is blue and the window of opportunity is widely open!
We made our move around 8.00am. The traffic wasn't so bad, and we arrived barely 15 minutes to her office. Afterward, I took my breakfast before I drove off to Likas Bird Sanctuary.

I went to the front office to pay the enterance fee of RM3.00 and bought a bottle of drinking water. I sat and prepared my stuff. Just as I finished taking off the lens cover, a golden opportunity appeared down my neck. I grabbed it and nailed a wonderful shot( at my standard of course, hehehe...)
I was so impressed with the shot and confident that today's might be my lucky day. I went straight to the hut deep in the wetland. I was so determined to capture the Blue-eared Kingfisher my wife shot last week. I was lucky to get a glimpse of it on my way there but couldn't release my shutter fast enough.

I arrived at the hut and waited for a while before I continued to the Hide deeper into the swamp. I didn't have much luck there so I had to move. Before long when I was in the hide, another opportunity came rolling in! I caught this;

Yes! I told myself...a Grand Prize! Instead of a Blue-eared Kingfisher, I captured a Common Kingfisher that is not so common anymore! an addition to my Kingfisher collection!


I got a call shortly from John (my guest staying at my apartment). He's returning the keys so I went to the car park to meet up with him. I heard a bunch of people making noises at the first hut on my way to the car park. I was a bit annoyed, but that place is for public!


John and I had a small chat before I went back in to the hide...and nature presented me this;



and this;


I must have struck the jackpot! Lesser Adjutant Stork is known as uncommon resident here and considered as a vulnerable species. It is reported that the total population is unlikely more than 100 individuals in Sabah. Wow! that's how lucky I am!
After obtaining such informations, my respect and appreciation grew bigger to the local nature photographers/birders I know. I am proud to include their links to my blog. They are just a click away...please pay a visit.

2 comments:

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

huargahahahahaahahaha yeah i agreed u were very lucky !

this lesser adjutant was seen last week flying low around the bird sanctuary but when me, karim and andrew arrived, it flew off again coz few locals were looking 4 bivalves on the mud ...

so no pics la that day hahahah :p maybe 2moro if woke up early :)

Jordan Sitorus said...

Yes! thank you for the confirmation. I am lucky afterall! The beautiful -ugly bird sums up my day. Glory is mine! I'm sure you guys will capture it too..