Friday, September 27, 2013

Asian Dowitcher (Limnodromus semipalmatus)









I had mixed feeling during the shoot.

Obviously, I was extremely excited when I noticed the bird was not really bothered with my friends and I presence. It kept feeding and feeding and feeding with little care of the surroundings.

I did little bird photography for quite a while now. Once a while, I did went to Kinabalu National Park to meet up with "old friends". Recently, I hit a jackpot when I met Mr. Whitehead's Trogon and family. Earlier were Blackeye Mountain Bird and also the Golden-naped Barbet. It was a great fun, I must say.

Anyway, I'll do a post about that later...

Back to our little friend here, classified as Near Threatened by IUCN I was also not so pleased to see just a single individual on that beach that day. There were also some Ruddy Turnstones, Common Ring Plover and some other species, but just a single Asian Dowitcher.

As my lifer, I was glad to have recorded it...but it would be even greater if there were more than one. Maybe I'm asking a bit too much, but wouldn't you think so? It is also disheartening to know their number are declining mainly due to habitat loss and also global warming. I wonder when will that be not the reason behind the decline...

Meanwhile, I guess I'll do my little part...

4 comments:

JRandSue said...

Superb Images.

cepiauctambaguz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cepiauctambaguz said...

An interesting waterbirds....congrats

cepiauctambaguz said...

An interesting waterbirds....congrats