Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Exclusively Tuaran: A Place for the Rare

We couldn't make it to Teluk Usukan Resort last weekend. My friends and I had family matters to attend to. As expected, plan 'B' should and would emerged from somewhere.

Ron with Asian Paradise Flycatcher in his head mentioned Tuaran Beach Resort (TBR). Wanted to see with my own eyes the Black and Red Broadbill in my own backyard ...'No' was not an option.

Alven our new guy had the rare encounter just a few days ago. Personally, I never expected to see it in Tuaran. Chai with his new lens, came a bit later to test his combo, an impressive Canon 50D + 300mm F4 + 2X TC!

TBR it was;- I did not see any of the above, instead I got these;


1. Copper-throated Sunbird (Leptocoma calcostetha)
A male Copper-throated Sunbird (Leptocoma calcostetha) doing the courting ritual above me. He was at the same branch long enough but the branches between him and the camera made me struggle for a decent shot. (Lifer #1)

2. Copper-throated Sunbird (Leptocoma calcostetha)
The female was curious to see what Ron and I were doing!

3. Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus)
I was on the way back home when I spotted these! A rare migrant from the north. (Lifer # 2)
4. DollarBird (Eurystomus orientalis)
I struck the jackpot when I saw a Dollarbird perched on a powerline! At first I thought it was a cuckoo. Shot from inside of my new ride, introducing the;-

5. Mitsubishi Triton
This new family member should be able to take us to places that was once unreachable...hopefully.

6 comments:

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

Hahaha congrats with the Copper-throated Sunbird !

I want to see also !!!

Ron said...

i think the highligt is actually the TRITON!

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Great birds and 4WD, that Triton is yours?

Jordan Sitorus said...

Hahaha Jason, Thanks! after knowing how hard to see even one..I'm Grateful!

Ron..hehehe no comment!

Tabib, Yup that's mine alright! Original plan was to get the Toyota Prado. Due to balance sheet...have to settle with a Triton...

Anyways... Triton is an awesome beast! comfy and most of all...reliable! I simply LOVE it!

I hope to make all our dreams come true! no doubt about it...

Gary Albert said...

wow!! Welcome to the Dakar legend family. ermmm White looks really nice.. congrates my fren

Jordan Sitorus said...

Yup, I simply LOVE it man!!! Thanx